Sarah
So, we had this 30% off coupon for Kohls, and really, who can pass up a good sale? Talk about pressure to go out and buy something - hate to see the 30% ones go to waste, know what I mean?

Anyway, we've been thinking about a food saver vacuum packaging system for awhile, and with all of my canning for the garden in the summer, we thought this might be a good alternative and a sure fire way to save some of the nutrients that get boiled away during the process. Also, I find I don't buy meat as much when it is on sale because I am so tired of freezer burn despite being packaged in freezer bags.

We bought the basic model and I feel like we got a really good price. Now, I am in the process of rethinking how we do things - canning, leftover storage, mass cooking (I don't do that much), etc. I am looking for any and all suggestions for those of you who use one - websites, tips, tricks, cost saving techniques, how you use it, etc. Can you help me out? I want to make the most of my purchase and find ways to save money in this crazy economy.

I'd say there is something in it for you, but there really isn't. Well, other than helping out a fellow human being who is trying to find her way into the unknown freezer universe when she has previously reigned supreme in the pressure cooker/water bath kingdom. Your assistance will be much appreciated.
2 Responses
  1. Joyce Says:

    I think you're brave to branch out into a new homemaking area.

    The only way I use my freezer for the beef which we by locally and have butchered. Oh, and sometimes for freezer jam, but that usually doesn't turn out as nice and firm as the 'real' kind.

    I do have some good cookbooks which are for preparing meals ahead. If you're interested, just email me, Sarah, and I'll send you the list. We have some favorites out of those books. :)


  2. Amy Says:

    ooooo, I don't have one of those... doh!! But if I did, I would love to help you, Sarah girl.. I have always wanted one.. such a great way to store and keep your food fresh!!

    Hey.. so... ok I am back... lol! I couldn't remember the question that you asked, and now I do! Yay!
    Ok! I have an external hard drive that I keep all my pics on. I learned the hard way and have crashed many a 'puter with my many many pictures.. so now I have their own little home on and external! Yay!

    Happy day to you...

    hugs.. Amy