Sarah
I wish I could afford to buy all organic foods....but I will feed my family the best I can within our budget.

I wish I could raise a cow on grass in my back yard...but I will keep an eye out for good prices on grass fed beef.

I wish I could bake all day...but I will make smart choices with using whole grains and flavorful ingredients.

I wish I could raise chickens...but I will buy omega 3 eggs as an alternative.

I wish I could eliminate trans fats and high fructose corn syrup from the foods that we love...but I will stop buying products with them in because they are so damaging to our health.

I wish I could memorize all the different ways MSG is disguised in foods...but I will make a copy of my list and keep it in my purse to help me remember and avoid it at all costs.

I wish french fries didn't taste so good...but I will avoid eating them at any time.

I wish our health care system would recognize supplements and antioxidants as a way to prevent disease and thus, reimburse for them...but I will take them anyway and pay for them out of my own pocket.

I wish that mass farming and production would not be lowering the nutritional value of our soils by overplanting, not rotating crops, and overusing pesticides...but I will take care to improve my garden by not doing the same.

I wish that I could say all these things and not be considered a freak or a fanatic...but I will continue to value my body (and my family's) as God's temple, and do everything I can to preserve and honor it.
8 Responses
  1. Tiffany Says:

    I don't think you are a freak or a fanatic. I could have written this blog post. After reading a number of books about healing my body by controlling what I allow into it I've made all of these same decisions. Even to stop eating french fries. They are truly one of my all time favorite foods but they are beyond bad for me and so I've quit eating them. I was tempted more than once on my trip to GA when we were getting fast food but I stood strong in the face of temptation! We haven't eaten food with trans fats for years but I am now starting to pay attention to the high fructose corn syrup. Any ideas for pancake syrup that doesn't have this?


  2. Bonnie Says:

    Tiffany ... real maple syrup doesn't have it ... and it is delicious ! More expensive but worth every drop of the liquid gold !!

    Sarah ... great list ! Love how you look at the things you CAN do and decide to do them !!


  3. Melissa Says:

    Loved this post! I found you through Tiffany.


  4. Melanie Says:

    You can add my voice to this! You certainly don't sound like a freak to me. You're saying what so many others are saying as well. ((Hugs))


  5. Angie Says:

    I agree with the other ladies. I bet if you had a group of women together they would say the same thing! Not freekish, you just care. I love to bake too! Yesterday was homemade chicken and noodles with my mommas recipe for noodles. Yummy! Also homemade dinner rolls and real mash potatos, who uses instant anyway! Ewww! My family appreciates it and it makes me feel like a little girl growing up because that is how my mom cooked and baked, totally from scratch, homegrown vegetables that taste so much better than from the store. I pray this time in our country people are spending more time with their family, gardening, and volunteering more to help others in need. I pray that happens with all my heart!


  6. Joyce Says:

    Hi, Sarah,
    All of these things sound good to me. You're not weird at all! You just want to do what's healthful for your family. :)


  7. Debra Says:

    Well, said! You are not a freak! :) This is a fantastic post & I know many people who feel the same way! Keep up the good work.


  8. siteseer Says:

    Great post. I came over from Apron Goddess. I love that you take the high road even when it is not convenient. That's a true measure of a persons character. I'll be back to keep up with you.