Sarah
It's almost 8 AM, and for once in my life, I have accomplished more before 8:00 then I usually do by, say, 10:00. :) Summer just begs me to roll my lazy bum out of bed and get a jump start on the day. We've been doing it fairly well the past month, simply because circumstances have dictated it to be so. Like spraying the weeds around the edge of the garden before the inevitable SD wind kicks in for the day. Or, watering the plants in the morning before the inevitable sun blisters the heck out of the special little seedlings. Or, wanting to enjoy a brief moment of glory out in God's creation before those inevitable little pesky gnats show up for the day to buzz around your ears and drive you insane. You know, those things. They'll get you out of bed in the morning.

As you can see, sometimes life just necessitates an early start. When there is a task at hand, and I can see that it needs to be done right away in order to make the day run smoothly, it's much easier for me to throw off the covers and hit the ground walking (certainly not running), albeit slowly, particularly before the coffee kicks in. (And, easier is a stretch, because I am NOT a morning person, not one single bone. The desire is there, but it is often squelched by the night person who is certainly the dominant one in this relationship.)

So, please tell me, why is it that God's Word doesn't haul me out of bed the same way? The criteria remain the same - certainly, if it is done right away it DOES help my day run smoothly. If I don't get into the Word right away in the morning, the whole day is often times gone before I even stop to catch my breath, let alone spend time with my maker. (And I don't mean COFFEEmaker - I always seem to find time for him.)

I reflected on this whole concept this morning as this has been a continual struggle for me. I am busy. Super busy. Not the running around "I have to be in town and go a lot of places" type of busy, but more of a "there's always one more thing to do on my to do list" type. It's never going to all get done, but each day is going to be packed chock full of whatever is the latest and hottest burning fire, followed in a nice and neat pecking order of "other important must be accomplished tasks". I know this and don't see it changing in the near future, but yet I continue to put on the back burner the one thing that can give me the most peace and the most power.

It's time for a change. It's time for a commitment. I know God doesn't care how I come to him, but just that I do. It may be at the end of my day, throughout my day, or in spite of my day, but coming to him is necessary, vital, and essential to living and breathing. A relationship cannot develop or grow without a commitment by both parties to be there for each other, and I'm letting God down. Sporadic time with my Savior is no longer acceptable.

That's my resolution and declaration, written right here in black and white. I will start each and every day with my Father. It may be through a brief prayer, an indepth bible reading, a bible study with friends or my husband, or listening to praise music. But, today is a new day, and each and every one will start with Him. I don't think he'll care how I do it, but will just rejoice that I do. It's the least I can do, especially when I think of what he did for me.

Praise the Lord! Praise, O servants of the Lord, praise the name of the Lord! Blessed be the anme of the Lord from this time forth and for evermore! From the rising of the sun to its setting the name of the Lord is to be praised!
Psalm 113: 1-3
3 Responses
  1. Melanie Says:

    Wonderful post! Hope you have a lovely weekend.


  2. Joyce Says:

    Hi Sarah,
    What works for me is reading my Bible online at Blue Letter Bible each morning as I enjoy my first cup of coffee in the quiet house. If I wait, I forget, thinking I have ALREADY read my Bible.

    There are devotional readings and studies available on the site, too, if you have the time and the inclination. :)


  3. Christine Says:

    I have missed you friend! I am with you getting up early and going in the summer is so much earlier for me as well. I am always amazed how much more I achieve getting up earlier to!

    I like what you said, that He doesn't care when we come to Him, but that we do come to Him. My days are always so much better lived with him in them for sure. Hugs and hope your week end is awesome!