Sarah
My blogger friend, Karen, at Over the Backyard Fence, inspired me to think about life's little pleasures. She challenged her readers to pick six things that are not vital to your life, but make it so much sweeter and special. Here are my six, in no particular order:

1. Coffee - it is my built in security blanket. I must have a cup in my hand, or on my desk, or anyplace where I am working. When I go to the office and work for my husband, he pays me in at least one cup of coffee from the local Starbucks or Caribou or Dunn Brothers or Scooters or whatever else can meet my needs. First thing in the morning, it would be black and strong and 1/2 caff. Later on in the day, it may be a cinnamon Dulcie (sp?)latte, skinny, no whip, 1/2 caff. Whatever the java, I enjoy a good cup. The smell, the taste, the feel of a mug in my hand - all contribute to a better day. If I can sip it on the porch first thing in the morning, even better. It's always 1/2 caff though - I save the fully leaded for those rare occasions where I need a real pick me up. ;)(Note stray coffee bean on counter)

2. The front porch - (preferably with #1). I love to sit in solitude on our front porch...It's fairly decent sized, surrounded by some plants and birdfeeders. If no one in the neighborhood is mowing, it speaks to peace and relaxation. It helps me focus in on my day by sitting with my bible in the morning, and it helps me connect with my husband when we can close out the day together on the love seat...usually with two cats and a dog nearby. Front porch sitting is highly underrated, and the mere thought of time spent on the porch relaxes my brain.


3. Scented candles - I would love if you could walk into my home and instantly be met with the homey scents of vanilla, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. While my house doesn't smell like that on a day in and day out basis, I love to tickle the olfactory lobe whenever possible. When my candles burn, it exudes warmth and homeyness, and seems to bring out the homemaker in me even more. The stronger the smell, the better, at least in my book.

4. Bubble baths - although I only take them in winter, my bubble bath is a way of warming myself to the inner core. It is my reward at the end of a day when I have been clothed in massive layers, socks, slippers, flannel, and whatever else I can to keep our house temp low and my body temp high. At the end of the day, I can sit in my super hot bath water, with a great book (see #5), and relax the day away.

5. A good read - nothing, nothing, nothing can top a good book, especially if I have #1, #3, #4, and #6 along with it in the winter, or #1, #2, #3, and #6 in the summer! (Notice a trend here of my favorite things?) I love fiction, non fiction, anything but science fiction and fantasy. I can get lost in a book, sometimes so much that I can't sleep because the characters dance in my head and come to life. Sometimes I read until late in the night because I can't put my book down. What a gift to be able to story tell with that type of intensity and ability. Books are a treasure, and life would not be the same without them.

6. Quiet and solitude - this little pleasure may seem strange, but with three kids, and all of them "talkers", I have found that when I do have peace and quiet, I rejuvenate and get energized. My husband will come home and turn on the radio, while I can work the entire afternoon in silence. It speaks peace to me, and gives me a break from the constant influx of activity and stimulation that seems to flow at an extremely high level around here. While it may not happen often, I relish the time it comes and envelopes me in its presence.

Life's simple pleasures - I can do without, but life seems to be just a little bit (or a lot!) better with these few things. As I type, I realize I have so many more than six. How blessed I am to have more to choose from! How about you? What would you pick as your six simple treasures? Let me know if you post them on your blog, so I can make sure and visit you!

Until then, enjoy, and have a wonderful day!
7 Responses
  1. Melanie Says:

    A lovely post! We sound much alike. Have a lovely day. ((Hugs))


  2. Unknown Says:

    Oh...My...Goodness, we are too much alike. I feel like I could have written that! The only thing that would have been different is that I use wall-flower plug-ins from Bath and Body a whole lot more than I use candles. But,everything else is me to a T. Love reading your blog!


  3. Amy Says:

    What fun!! Loved all your simple pleasures! It is SOOOOO important isn't it to everybody in your life that you we do things to nurish our hearts. I just might have to do me one of these here posts... ugh.. ok, see I am rambling and need more coffee! lol! Have a beautiful day!

    Amy


  4. Bonnie Says:

    i love your porch !! oh how i'd love to sit there sipping coffee and reading !! your simple pleasures are almost identical to mine. maybe i should do this on my blog too !! :)

    ps ... too bad you don't have a tub on your porch ... you could have all your simple pleasures at once !! tee hee


  5. Karen Says:

    I love your list and I'm so glad you joined in on the fun. I agree with everything you said. And your front porch is lovely. It goes so well with the coffee and the books:)


  6. Barbara Says:

    Sounds like we enjoy some of the same things. I think I will take your challenge...tomorrow I will post my six things. That's a neat challenge, it will be fun. I enjoyed reading yours...they sound like bonuses to life to me.


  7. Joyce Says:

    Hi, Sarah!
    I enjoyed your list and could copy all of it except the bubble bath. I still opt for quick showers. I especially sympathize with what you said about getting involved in books. One of my favorite memories from the long ago years when all the children were little, was reading aloud to them. It was wonderful to observe them as they listened. You could just tell they were seeing the whole thing in their minds.