Sarah
This is NOT how our days have looked recently!

It's one of those days - again. The one where I don't want to teach my kids, but I just want to curl up with a cup of coffee, in my bed, and read the day away. While this may be a good idea, and one which homeschoolers can afford to take periodically, I have the dreaded GUILT hanging over my head that I can't take an entire day just to read. Maybe I could give my kids the time, but, in my head, that would only free me up to work on some projects, clean, or do other things that need to be done. Good heavens. It's difficult to relax around here without the guilt train speeding in at full steam.

Couple of items to share:

TJ got a part in The Best Little Christmas Pageant Ever and will be playing Gladys Hermdan. We're starting to work on memorizing her lines. There will be six performances the week before Christmas, so the schedule around here will jack up in intensity, particularly after Thanksgiving. I will be a parent volunteer, doing some backstage supervision and possibly some costume sewing.

We got our airline tickets (thanks for the Southwest tip, Amy!) booked for our trip to San Diego area in January and early February. Now we just have to finalize our car rental and our first week of accommodations. We're going to be ready to leave the frozen tundra at that time, and it will be here lickety split.

I think we will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner, so it's already time to start planning our menu for that. We will be making many traditional items, but hope to make everything from scratch as that is the path we have been following the past 6 months. I hope to post on that journey soon.

Our bible study, Living by the Book, has really prompted me to take a look at scripture in a more indepth way. I am really enjoying going through different parts of scripture, and dissecting and learning more than I ever have. I have found, that when I am able to do it first thing in the morning, I really do ponder it in my heart and ruminate over it for the whole day. It has been a fun challenge and a great time of learning for both Brad and I. Our early mornings are inconsistent due to other commitments, but we're working on doing it together in the AM as much as we can.
We've been working on improving the different Fruit of the Spirit around here - We have some room for improvement, but for the most part, it has been fun to recognize and "catch" the kids in acts of kindness, love, etc. However, it hasn't stopped the personality clashes between the youngest and the oldest. My, how those two are the same in temperament. It is amazing how stubborn they both are and how easily they can fly off the handle at each other. We need to continue to foster kindness and respect for each other - not an easy task, but if we don't nip this now...

One last thing - I haven't tried this Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe yet, but goodness knows I will be soon! Wanted to share it with you as well.

Well, there obviously haven't been any huge insights in this post, and I do need to get my children motivated for school. I promise to post something of interest sometime soon! :)
Labels: edit post
5 Responses
  1. Tiffany Says:

    I love the fruits of the spirit jars. We will definitely be doing that around here!!! My youngest and oldest sound like yours--I'll pray for you and you pray for me. Oh and I'm wishing your vacation was a trip to FL--I would love to meet you in person!!
    I tried the pumpkin spice latte recipe and skipped the blender part and it was not good!


  2. Karen Says:

    Promise I'll tell you all about my "meeting" with PW. (Me and about 500 other people, I'm sure!)

    I'm starting to think about Thanksgiving dinner, too. It's only a few weeks away, hard to believe, huh?


  3. Melanie Says:

    I struggle with feelings like that too. On my days off work, I think I should be working around the house and if I take some time to read or relax, I feel so unproductive. Sigh. Christmas plays - already! Time sure does fly! ((Hugs))


  4. Barbara Says:

    There are those days when that is all you'd like to do, but like you said, Guilt.....Life is just too busy sometimes and there is so much to do. But I think we should take a day a month to do just as you said.....spend the day curled up doing something relaxing, reading or lying in a hammock...something nice. Sounds like the next few months will be very busy for you. Have a blessed week


  5. Joyce Says:

    Hi, Sarah,
    It sounds as if you're keeping very busy, but all that busy-ness is so worthwhile. I very much agree that it's hard work teaching our children what it means to love one another, but difficult or not, that is our calling and responsibility.

    Hope you all have a wonderful time on your California vacation. :)