Sarah
Yesterday, our beloved dog, Baxter, passed away. He had been failing slowly over the past months, but took a big turn on Saturday and before we could stop the downhill slide, he died Sunday afternoon. Thankfully, he was in our house, in a nice warm environment, and we don't feel he suffered too much. He was a beloved fixture for the past 11 years, and I already miss him more than I thought I would. I told my sister that it is the "familiar" and "routine" things that I miss...him scratching on the door to come in the house, his happy greeting when we drive up the driveway, even his howling when he wants to make his presence known. Most of all, it is sad to see your kids grieving the loss of a friend. While they are handling it well, they question if they gave him enough love and attention over the years - a great lesson for us all that time is fleeing and we need to love our loved ones in the here and now.

We are still figuring out how we will lay him to rest, but today we are looking at old pictures and reminiscing on our fun times together.









Thank you, Baxter, for the eleven years of joy and fun you brought into our lives!
Labels: , edit post
8 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    What a beautiful puppy dog. So sorry for your loss, we'll be praying for you all!


  2. It is so hard to lose a pet, they become such a huge part of our lives. He looks as if he had a gentle soul.


  3. Jen Says:

    So sad...I'm so sorry for your loss. Saying prayers of comfort this morning for you.


  4. Joyce Says:

    Baxter looks very loved in all the family photos, Sarah. Loving one another here and now is a great lesson to take from your dear pet's death. I know what you mean; this is so hard on the little ones. <3


  5. Bee Jay Says:

    Sarah, what a beautiful and faithful family pet - of course he will be sadly missed - but the future holds so many wonderful memories of him for you all - he will always be remembered.
    Blessings!


  6. Melanie Says:

    So sorry to hear about Baxter. Our pets do become our family and sometimes cease to become animals but children instead! My little Doc-Boy is having issues and is up in years and I wonder just how much longer I'll have with him.
    I'm praying for comfort for you and your family.


  7. Karen Says:

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't bear to think of the day when our dog won't be with us any longer. Baxter looks like a friendly, happy dog. He must have been a great pal to all of you through the years.


  8. Christine Says:

    I am not looking forward to the day our pup is gone. They really do become such a big part of our families lives! I am so sorry for your loss here..what a beautiful family pet you had here...